The Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security Career Cluster® focuses on planning, managing, and providing legal services, public safety, protective services, and homeland security, including professional and technical support services. Students will examine the roles and responsibilities of police, courts, corrections, private security, and protective agencies of fire and emergency services.
Career Cluster Pages
Programs of Study
Career options within the federal Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security Career Cluster are plentiful. There are four programs of study within this federal cluster, each with a variety of jobs and occupations.
- Emergency Services
- Government and Public Administration
- Law Enforcement
- Legal Studies
Approved CTE Programs of Study information is available on the TEA website, including “at-a-glance” spreadsheets with coherent course sequences, an overview of programs of study, and course alignment recommendations.
Follow the links below to teaching resources related to this career cluster.
- Scope and Sequence
- Lesson Plans
- Programs of Study
- Course Pages
- Correctional Services
- Court Systems and Practices
- Criminal Investigation
- Federal Law Enforcement and Protective Services
- Firefighter I
- Firefighter II
- Forensic Science
- Law Enforcement I
- Law Enforcement II
- Practicum in Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
- Practicum in Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security/Extended Practicum in Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
- Principles of Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
Teachers should get involved in at least one career and technical education (CTE) professional association. They are excellent sources of career cluster-specific teaching tools, ideas, networking, and mentors.
The following associations are related to careers in law, public safety, corrections, and security:
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Career and Technology Association of Texas (CTAT)
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- International Trial Attorneys Association
- National Association of Legal Assistants
- National Association of Legal Secretaries
- National Association of Security Companies (NASCO)
- National Council of Investigation and Security Services (NCISS)
- National Court Reporter Association
- National Fire Protection Association
- National Sheriffs Association
- Texas Law Enforcement Explorer Advisors Association
- Texas Municipal Police Association
- Texas Tactical Police Officers Association
Career Cluster News
Stay on top of current practices and news by attending conferences in the Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security field.
Here are a few upcoming events:
July 16-20, 2018
The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) provides workforce development services and resources to Texas employers and job seekers.
Take a few moments to bookmark the following TWC resources to explore later: