The Information Technology (IT) Career Cluster® focuses on building linkages in IT occupations for entry level, technical, and professional careers related to the design, development, support, and management of hardware, software, multimedia, and systems integration services.
Career Cluster Pathways
The Information Technology Career Cluster® has four career cluster pathways to guide students to their desired occupation in information technology.
- Network Systems
- Information Support and Services
- Web and Digital Communications
- Programming and Software Development
Source: Advance CTE
To help students learn more about careers in Information Technology, download and distribute the Information Technology College and Career Planning Guide.
Follow the links below to teaching resources related to this career cluster.
- Scope and Sequence
- Lesson Plans
- Programs of Study
- Course Pages
- Computer Maintenance
- Computer Maintenance Lab
- Computer Programming I
- Computer Programming II
- Computer Technician Practicum
- Computer Technician Practicum/Extended Computer Technician Practicum
- Digital Media
- Networking Lab
- Practicum in Information Technology
- Practicum in Information Technology/Extended Practicum in Information Technology
- Principles of Information Technology
- Web Technologies
IT teachers should get involved in at least one career and technical education (CTE) professional association. They are excellent sources of career cluster-specific teaching tools, ideas, networking, and mentors.
The following associations are related to careers in information technology:
- Texas Industrial Vocational Association (TIVA)
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)
- Career and Technology Association of Texas (CTAT)
- Texas Technology and Engineering Educators
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Association for Women in Computing
- Computer Technology Industry Association (COMPTIA)
- Texas Computer Association (TCA)
- Texas Business and Technology Educators Association
Career Cluster News
Stay on top of current practices and news by attending conferences in the Information Technology field.
Here are a few upcoming events:
SkillsUSA Texas State Conference
April 5-8, 2018
Corpus Christi, TX
Texas Technology Student Association (TSA) State Contest 2018
April 15-17, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
2018 TIVA Summer Professional Development Conference
July 16-20, 2018
The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) provides workforce development services and resources to Texas employers and job seekers.
Take a few moments to bookmark the following TWC resources to explore later: