This page contains information on the Texas Information Technology Industry Advisory Committee.
Texas Information Technology Industry Advisory Committee
July 2018 IAC Onboarding Meeting
August 2018 IAC Webinar
To ensure students are prepared for in-demand, high-skill, high-wage careers, the division of College, Career, and Military Preparation seeks to engage members of industry and higher education to advise on the development of programs of study including coherent sequences of courses, industry-recognized certifications, work-based learning, and the technical assistance needs for each career cluster.
TEA invited education and industry experts to serve as a member of the advisory committtee. Advisory members will support the establishment of state recognized secondary programs of study that will be implemented beginning in the 2019-2020 school year.
A program of study is a plan of courses outlined for a student that incorporates secondary education and postsecondary education elements; includes academic, career, and technical content in a coordinated, non-duplicative progression of courses; and leads to an industry-recognized credential or certificate at the postsecondary level, or an associate or bachelor’s degree.
Advisory partners will be asked to participate in the following activities:
Optional web conference orientation (1 hour)
- 3 web conference meetings, 1 per month beginning July through September (1 hour each)
- 1 full day in-person meeting (8 hours; tentatively scheduled for November 9, 2018)
- Industry members will review occupational skills identified within the member’s industry and provide written and verbal feedback ranking importance of skills (up to 4 hours)
- Industry members will provide input and data regarding industry/organizational training, hiring, and talent partnership practices
- K-12 partners will provide input regarding course sequencing and certification opportunity alignment to proposed Programs of Study
- Institution of Higher Education partners will provide examples of postsecondary programs that align to proposed Programs of Study
September/October 2018 IAC Webinar
The second Industry Advisory Committee meetings will focus on review of programs of study after the first round of revisions from advisory committee feedback. Members will engage in discussion concerning work based learning and postsecondary opportunities for students within the industry. Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills and course descriptions will be introduced to facilitate future group work in course sequencing.
November 2018 IAC Convening
The full day in-person committee meeting will focus on finalizing the proposed programs of study, including course sequencing. Members will participate in a job skills ranking exercise to ensure that the course work selected for the programs of study is aligned to workforce needs as closely as possible.